How to Change the location of “MY Documents” folder in Windows XP

As you are already aware of the fact that by default “My Documents” folder is located on the drive/partition where Windows XP is installed. If for some reason, your Windows XP partition gets corrupted, you loose your documents saved in “My Documents” folder. This situation is very painful, especially when you have lots of precious data stored in it.


Fortunately, there is a way to change the default location of “My Documents” folder, and avoid any unhappy situation. Follow the steps below:

  • On the Desktop, Right Click “My Documents” folder.
  • Select “Properties”.




  • Now, select tab “Target”.




  • Click “Move”
  • Select the new location to store “My Documents” folder, preferably a separate disk or partition other than the one on which Windows XP is installed.



  • “My Documents” folder location is changed now! and you can take a deep breath of relief because all your documents stored in this folder will still survive if Windows XP gets corrupted.

People who read this post also read :